Spain is a country filled with incredible terrain of mountains against the rocky sea, a sunny Mediterranean climate and a culture rooted in tradition. As many traditions, food is at the heart of the culture, and as many Western cultures, meat is a staple. Although Barcelona is in Spain, it is a vibrant and growing city, which exudes a culture infused with international creatives. The food scene in Barcelona (for both meat eaters and vegetarians!) is one to explore. The following restaurants are not solely vegetarian, but are among my favorites as the food is made with quality ingredients and prepared with intention. In all the following restaurants you will find delicious, nourishing options that are vegetarian or vegan.
1. Mamas Café, Gracia – a cozy café which with simple clean décor and boasts an outdoor terrace in the back. The menu is organic with daily specials and incredible coffee. The atmosphere is relaxing (even when full) and is the perfect place to work on your computer or have an afternoon coffee and homemade cake.
2. Rebelot, Barceloneta – a cool hipster café at the corner of the main plaza. Run by Italians, they are a ‘slow food’ restaurant (all of the ingredients are within 100 km) and treat you like old friends they have known their entire lives. The menu has organic meats, fish and plenty of vegetarian options. The atmosphere is lively and a great place for drinks and food.
3. Teresa Carles, Cuitat Vella – a bustling vegetarian/vegan restaurant off of La Ramblas which is famous for its food, cold pressed juices and ‘menu del dia’ which is 11 euros for a 3 course meal. The menu is massive and will suit anyones preferences. The ingredients are fresh and most dishes are very flavorful and will satisfy any meat lovers tastes. The cold pressed juices are worth every bit of the 5 euros. Try Green Love or Vegan Vampire! Make sure you arrive long before you are ready to eat as there is usually a wait when you go at peak hours.
Sister restaurant, Flax + Kale is only a 5 minutes walk from Teresa Carles and offers a more upscale dining experience menu. The menu is more intricate with fusion items loaded with superfoods, as well as seafood.
4. Caravelle, Raval – a trendy and cozy café which is run by an international couple. The menu certainly reflects this as they play with interesting flavours to create delicious fusion food. Try the fusion tacos and bulger salad! One of the few places that makes a perfect coffee, every single time…definitely enjoy the coffee with their incredible deserts or muffins of the day.
5. Bo da B, Gothico – a small sandwich shop which is rich in Morrocan flavours and high quality ingredients. One of the best options for a budget as you get a sandwich packed with fresh veggies, your protein of choice, roasted potatos and the secret sauces, or a plate, which is essentially a larger (healthier, without the baguette) version of their famous sandwich’s. The meats are flavourful as they are marinated, and the vegetarian plate is absolutely incredible! Expect to cue out the door if you go during peak hours, but it is worth every minute spent waiting!
LAUREN LEE is passionate about holistic health, exploring the world and empowering others to live vibrant and happy lives. Founder of Raise Your Beat, dedicated yogini and sun seeker, she lives for creating connection and enjoying simple pleasures. Read more about her here