Modern society is often driven by the egoic qualities of striving and achieving which ultimately lead to more separation and disillusion...however, as many of us can feel there are huge shifts manifesting in the Universe - and it's happening fast. The shift can be seen in the rise of Eastern traditions that include self-inquiry and self-realization. 'Yoga' is now a household word, ancient medicinal plants and practices are fusing with Allopathic Western medicine, more individuals are stepping into their power and serving the world from a place of love and harmony, and businesses and communities around the world are thinking from a collective perspective with a sustainable mindset.
It's an exciting time to be alive on this planet and have the opportunity to be a part of this movement.
Along with a rise in consciousness, particular qualities that have been overlooked in the past are once again honored as signs of strength, abundance and power. Ancient traditions understood and honored the many gifts of the Divine Feminine, and after many years of being suppressed, society is coming full circle with female empowerment at an all time high. The Goddess (feminine) energy, known as Shakti in Tantra holds the qualities of dynamic change, creation/creativity, intuition, nourishment and maternal love. It is important to remember that Shakti needs the Shiva (male) energy of steadiness, which is grounding and unchanging in order to direct and manifest the pulse of energy that surges from Shakti. Both man and woman hold the energies of Shiva and Shakti within them. Our entire yoga practice (on and off the mat) work to bring these two forces into harmony for overall well-being in all our layers (physical, mental, emotional), a sense of Self and overall happiness depends on how well we acknowledge, embrace and integrate these qualities.
The longer that we are on the path of self-realization (through Yoga or any other dedicated spiritual Sadhana) we naturally begin to burn up our Karmic tendencies and Samskaras (no coincidence that this Sanskrit word rhymes with 'some scars') which keep us in states of trauma, dis-ease and fear. As we become liberated from that which binds us (physically and mentally) we feel a spaciousness within our bodies, a fullness in our hearts and and clarity in our minds. We begin to choose love over fear, positivity over negativity and move from an individual mindset to a collective. Stay grounded on the path long enough and inner-abundance will blossom.
This abundance felt is the Shakti energy, the Divine Feminine which is receptive, fearless and loving - a subtle yet potent power which rises from your authentic Self.
We have all seen women who are magnetic - those who exude a sense of calm, hapiness and inner/outer radiance. Cultivating your inner Goddess requires the desire, intention and action. Honor your Divine Feminine daily through simple tips which create a greater sense of abundance:
1. Be open to receive: Receptivity is a key aspect of the Divine. Allow yourself to become unattached to outcomes/end results and instead learn to love the process/journey. This will create space for change to arise (maybe something better than planned even!) and keeps you adaptable. Try to maintain a positive mindset (even in the midst of unexpected situations) by remembering that things happen for a reason, and every experience is an opportunity to learn from.
2. Nourish your body: Google an image of a Goddess from any tradition and you will see the voluptuous nature that the archetype is portrayed as...full breasts and hips, flowing hair with a sexual yet serene essence that exudes radiance. Nourish yourself with wholesome meals, stay hydrated and move your body in ways which feel inspiring, loving and sensual. Skip the gym if you dread it - take a dance class, practice yoga or walk in nature. Appreciate your feminine figure and any excess weight as you are designed to create and sustain life within you - see every curve as your Divine self!
3. Embrace your cycle: Learn to love your body and the unique feminine qualities that it has. Every month women have the opportunity to cleanse their bodies and are encouraged to take time for rest as nature asks us to slow down. Use your moon cycle as an opportunity to nourish and surrender to Nature's flow. This is a powerful time to reflect on how you feel physically, mentally and emotionally. Treat yourself to something special to celebrate this time of rest - a massage, pedicure, restorative yoga workshop or a delicious meal out.
4. Build intimacy with yourself: Increase your self-love through sensual solo acts. Bubble baths followed by a massage using your favorite lotion or oil, journal or read by candle light, prepare a dinner for yourself, meditate or sing in the shower.
5. Surround yourself with beauty: Make your home a Shakti sanctuary with items that make you feel happy and calm. Clear any clutter, and instead fill your space with gorgeous artwork, photos of loved ones, plants and fresh flowers, natural lighting and soft mood lighting for evening, crystals, rocks, dreamcatchers and lush fabrics. Create cozy and sacred spaces that inspire your creativity.
6. Connect with Mother Nature: Spend time in nature as often as you can. De-stress through a daily dose of sunshine, walking barefoot in the grass, gardening or hiking.
7. Build healthy bounderies: Learn to say no to people, projects and experiences that do not align with your highest self. Listen to your intuition and speak your truth when you do not agree. Be okay with turning down an event/project and know that you are creating space for something more aligned to come your way. The more you do this, the easier it becomes, and the more clear you become on what types of experiences/collaborations truly speak to your heart.
8. Slow down: Practice mindfulness. Be grateful for the flow of your life and work to see even your busiest days as opportunities for pleasure. Set your alarm 30 minutes early and move slowly through your morning routine without rushing, steep your cup of tea in your favorite mug instead of microwaving it and taking it to go, and move through errands/work with a sense of ease and accomplishment. Incorporate time for rest throughout the day where you can log off all screens and lie on your back, reflect, and breathe deep to replenish and increase productivity.
9. Connect with other Goddesses: Sisterhood is vital for building a supportive community. Align yourself with other women who are also on a spiritual path and are nourishing to spend time with. This tribe of women should be sacred and pure. Think about setting monthly meet ups during the full moon in a quiet space where you can get together and enjoy conversation over conscious meals, meditate and share practices together.
10. Offer random acts of kindness: Smile and soften your face as you walk, make eye contact (and hold it as you smile!), open doors for strangers, pay for someones toll behind you, give long and meaningful hugs - the more abundance you offer out into the world, the more you build your inner state of abundance from a place of authenticity.
LAUREN LEE E-RYT 500 is passionate about living with purpose, exploring the world, and empowering others to live as their most authentic, radiant Self. Founder of Raise Your Beat, dedicated teacher and forever student on the path of yoga, she leads transformational workshops, retreats and trainings to awaken the individual and collective consciousness. Read more about her here